Monday, May 12, 2008

We're finally in Udaipur

Day 5: Wednesday April 30, 5:00 pm - Udaipur

Today has been a long driving day. I think our trip here from Jaipur took almost six hours. And it was hot. I think the longer we drive, the worse the A/C in our car works. Mintu seems annoyed, probably with all the traffic. I don’t blame him. It’s just more of the same ghetto countryside, with people walking around, and loads of people on mopeds and bikes.

I read two books – Water for Elephants and Framed, and Andy slept on my lap . I think the three of us only spoke to each other when we stopped for lunch, one more flipping hot lunch in the middle of the flipping desert. By this point, the smell of Indian food makes me gag. All I can eat is naan and daal.

We arrived in Udaipur in the evening, and went out shopping. We didn’t pack very well, and both our suitcases are so stinking heavy, we need to find another bag and redistribute the weight. Maybe we should hire some donkeys to carry our stuff for us. More staring, and by the time we return to the hotel, my feet are black.

We stopped once for a soda, and saw this guy watching us from across the street. When Andy took his picture, he didn't come over and ask us for money. That's a first.



We did see these funny little Udaipur residents, hanging out on the roof. They were just like all the people we've seen in India - they just stared at us, like we're freaks or something. Sheesh.

1 comment:

Kar said...

It's a good thing you packed some books. I need to take note of the books you read - I'm always looking for a good read.