Monday, May 12, 2008

Riding a death trap around Goa

We quickly realized that if we wanted to get around this place, we’d either have to walk or rent a moped. It’s just going to cost too much to get taxis everywhere, and auto rickshaws aren’t as available. Luckily, the traffic isn’t as bad as the cities, and we decide on a moped, or as we soon come to realize, a death trap.

Quite frankly, this frightens me just a bit, but Pointer rented one, so we figure, how hard can it be? When we go to the rental place, the guy doesn't ask for Andy's license; he just takes his money, gives him the key, fills up the tank with gas, and there we go. When Andy asked him how to start it, the guy says, "You've driven before?" Uh, sure. Andy says he's driven a motorcycle (lie), and they're not really that different, are they? Once he figured out what he's doing, he takes a practice drive down the road, leaving me standing there with the guys at the shop. I think they wondered if he was going to come back for me.

He did come back, and we took off on the moped, heading back to the hotel. I think it's hard for Andy to remember to drive on the left side of the road here, because when we turned a corner, he headed directly towards a huge bus, and barely swerved out of the way, careening around the corner. Maybe we should have rented two helmets?


It is pretty fun though, and it's nice to cruise around town with the breeze blowing through my hair. I just try to ignore all the locals who are laughing at the funny Americans who can't even drive on the correct side of the road.

I'm sure he'll get the hange of it soon. He does have the added stress of driving with my weight on the back. I'd say so far he's doing pretty good. I just have to say "Left side!" every once in a while to remind him.

1 comment:

Kar said...

That would be so hard, to drive on the left side of the road.