Monday, May 12, 2008

The tallest gate in Asia

Tuesday April 29, noon - still on the road from Agra to Jaipur

During our road trip today, Mintu suggested we stopped to see a fort, which has the tallest gate in Asia. It was pretty breathtaking. Here we are in front of it.

It was basically a mausoleum – both ladies and “gents” are buried here. The headstones for the women are not as tall as the gents’ – that’s how you can tell which is which.


I don't know much about architecture, but I have to say that the architecture here was breathtaking. There was a lot of really interesting carvings. Take a look:




There is one structure that has basically a "wishing altar." They want you to pay for some fabric, which you tie up and lay down on this altar-type thing. It will bring you prosperity. Also, they want you to buy some red thread and tie it around the window carving, and you'll also get have good luck or prosperity, or something like that. We weren't interested in spending more money, and passed. But we still took some pictures.

A couple of things we found interesting:
A lucky horseshoe door, dozens of beehives on the ceiling, and moneychangers in a holy place. I swear, they were selling everything, yet our guide talked about how special and holy this place was. Hmmm...




Even though neither of us was initially interested in stopping to
visit a fort, I think we were both glad we did. It was pretty amazing, and I didn't even mind taking of my shoes and walking around the whole place barefoot.


When we were leaving the fort, we saw a camel pulling a cart down the street. Now that's not something you see in America!

We also saw this little boy, who begged us for money. Of course, we said no. Actually, we said "No. No. No. No." About a million times. Then he saw the camera and said, "Take my picture." We did, and then he wanted money. Oh brother. It is a cute picture though, and we gave him 10 rupees (I think that's like 25 cents).

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh, that's Fatehpur Sikri, the place I was telling you to go! The red string that people tie on the walls is from women that are trying to get pregnant with a baby boy. It all has to do with one of the Mughal Emperors. I'm glad you went here, one of my favorites!

Kar said...

Dude, again, the begging thing must have gotten sooo old. I hate being bugged by panhandlers. One of my top ten pet peeves. Very cool fort. I love the carvings in all the doorways.