Monday, May 12, 2008

Lake Palace luxury

Thursday May 1, 10:00 pm - Lake Palace Hotel

All I can say is holy flipping cow. The Lake Palace was everything we thought it would be, and more (including expensive). It was completely worth the time it took to get here, and the money we paid to stay here.

This hotel is famous for being in the James Bond movie Octopussy. I think they used this fountain/garden area in the movie, and I can definitely see why – it’s like a little cloud of paradise in the middle of squalor. Well, okay, not exactly squalor, but you know what I mean.


Their motto is to make their guests feel like royalty, and that started the minute we pulled up. They don’t have any roads to this hotel, so we had to take a boat. While we waited, they brought us bottled water and fashion magazines for me to read. We took a small boat (whose driver was wearing a striped shirt and kicky beret – ala Venice). Of course, they took our luggage in a separate boat.

When our boat docked, several people met us there, including a man carrying an umbrella to shield me from the sun. As we walked through the door, they showered rose petals on us, and we were met by the Hotel Manager, who greeted us by painting orange dots on our foreheads and served us some juice drinks. We were given a tour of the hotel, and shown to our room.


A few things I take for granted in America: climate controlled rooms (there was no AC, it was just the perfect temperature), fresh fruit, fluffy towels, white sheets, bathtubs, and cold drinks. I’m sure there’s more, but these are the things I have really missed. Our room really took the pain out of our trip so far. It was a like a palace – it had all this and more! A nice, fluffy bed, fluffy white towels, a killer view, and best of all - fresh apples! I cannot describe how much I have been dying to eat some crispy, fresh fruit.
They told us that if we needed anything at all, to press the * button on the phone, and someone will take care of it. There is even a little sign next to the phone that says if we find any bugs in our room to call and they will dispose of it. I wish we had a fly or something, just so I could see if they're serious.

We ate lunch at their really fancy Indian restaurant (they had to ask Andy to put pants on – they don’t serve to people wearing shorts), where the silverware is gold, and we had four or five waiters, just for two of us. They continually checked in on us, and when I reached to pour myself more water because it was getting low, one waiter came over and poured it for me. The chef came out to introduce himself, ask how the meal was, and give me a cookbook of his recipes. He also sent out a couple of complimentary appetizers. What was really funny is that a few minutes after we arrived (while Andy was changing), the spa called the restaurant for me to see if we could change our appointment. It seems that they just know where their guests are at all times, and what they need, and things just get done.

After lunch we sat by the pool, soaking in some sun and enjoying the view of the lake. We played a game of Scrabble, sat in the hot Jacuzzi (and the cold Jacuzzi as well), before heading to the spa for massages. At the spa, they started out by washing our feet in rose water, and then proceeded to give me the best massage ever. Seriously. After the massage, they served us watermelon juice, gave us leis, and put some paste on our foreheads for good luck, and stuck rice to the paste – for prosperity. They knew I had a sinus infection, and suggested that in the next few days, I get one of their head massages. When I said we were leaving the next morning, Andy said to just book one first thing in the morning. He didn’t have to suggest that twice.

We were so relaxed after the massage, we decided to order room service and watch Octopussy, the whole reason we came to this hotel. The waiter brought our dinner in, and promptly set up a candlelight dinner in our room, complete with lit candles and flowers. We had bacon-wrapped chicken and mashed potatoes (mashed potatoes – oh my gosh, I forgot how good they are!) and fish and chips – pure delight. Our bed was so comfortable and the room so cool, I couldn’t even stay awake while Andy ordered dessert.

1 comment:

Kar said...

Oh my goodness. That sounds absolutely incredible. Showered with rose petals? They kill bugs for you? If I ever go to India (and that probably isn't likely), dang. I'm going there.