Monday, May 12, 2008

Viva Goa!

Saturday May 3, 10:00 pm - Marbella Guest House near Candolim Beach, Goa
After leaving our shack, we manage to find the Marbella Guest House, a quaint little place with a lovely patio. The only thing wrong with it is there's no pool, but I think we'll survive. After checking in, we dropped off our laundry (which we have not washed in a week), put on our swimsuits and walk into town. We quickly realized that if we are going to get around in this town, we'll have to rent a moped. Uh...that should be interesting.

After a great lunch at a local place called Viva Goa, which was highly recommended in our guidebook, and I can see why. We had some awesome kingfish and french fries, (yes french fries - for heaven's sake, yum!), and then we drove down towards the beach. We knew that Jeff Pointer, one of the cameramen Andy's working with was in Goa. I was dying to go for a swim in a pool, so we thought we'd try to find his hotel, because we knew he had one. Oddly enough, while we're driving down the road, I spot a tall white guy on a moped - there was no mistaking him. What luck - Pointer!

Thank heavens for Pointer and his pool. We had a delightful swim, although I was surprised that the water was just not all that cold and refreshing - more like a lukewarm bath. Oh well, I'll take it. Here I am with Pointer in the pool - I'm the one in the pink swimsuit.

Pointer had been in Goa for quite a few days already, and was making friends with the locals. His neighbors across the street, Santana and his wife, have a little guest house and restaurant, but are also closed for the season. In Goa, the tourist season is from November through March, and now everyone was closing up and getting ready for the hote summer and monsoon season. Santana, however, was still cooking for Jeff and a few other people. We went over for some delicious grilled sea bass and some more french fries. Here we are with Santana and his wife - both wonderful cooks.
I think this is Andy's idea of a perfect vacation, and I have to agree.

3 comments:

Review Goa said...

Hi..

Amazing post!!!

Wld love if u could leave us a post or review on www.reviewgoa.com or link my site to yours..

Regards,
Blen

Kar said...

Dude, it's a good thing you like seafood. I think I would have a hard time in India, because sea food makes me yak.

willyrodrigues said...

Hi i met this guy who runs marbella
to do some technical work great guy and he is really great a good musician also
willy
http://All4webs.com/n/4/nathan27