Monday, May 12, 2008

The Taj Mahal

Monday April 28, 4:00 pm - The Taj Mahal, Agra

After lunch and a good long nap, we went to the Taj. The Taj is the only reason we came to this city – if there were no Taj, I would not recommend visiting Agra. But the Taj is definitely worth seeing – its architecture is beautiful and its story romantic.

There are some beautiful walls and gates surrounding the Taj, and Andy, photographer extraordinnaire, captured some great shots.

(A note about the pictureof me sitting down - no, I am not pregnant - I'm just kind of chunky. I've gained a little weight since we got married, and I'm slouching, and this shirt doesn't help me look any thinner. But I had to show this picture with the cool gate-fort thing behind me.)
The Taj, though beautiful, is surrounded by a very polluted, very stinky river. So here we are, standing in this beautiful structure, and our view is a river full of garbage. And yes, people were swimming/bathing/fishing/getting sick in it - I'm not sure which. Based on the expression on my face, I could smell it all the way in the front of the Taj.

They are currently doing construction on the Taj, so the back half is covered in scaffolding.

1 comment:

Kar said...

Lish, I think you look great. I gained a little weight when I got married, too. It happens when you're cooking good meals for your hubby. And how cool you got to see the Taj Mahal. I'm jealous.