Monday, May 12, 2008

Road trippin' across India

Day 4: Tuesday April 29, morning - on the road from Agra to Jaipur (capital of the state of Rajistan)

We are taking a five hour road trip today, from Agra to Jaipur, the Pink City. I’m not sure I organized this trip wisely, because it seems we are spending a lot of time in a car. It’s completely a road trip across the desert of India. I guess that’s still more interesting than a road trip through Wyoming to get to Utah, but once you’ve seen one street-side dilapidated village, you’ve seen them all.

Plus, Andy is getting carsick, and the only thing that helps is for him to lay down on my lap. Not really a big deal, but it is so flipping hot and now I have a big sweat mark on my legs. But it is interesting to experience Indian driving. Our driver put in a tape of some Indian music, so as we drove along, we heard the sounds of an Indian woman singing. It was nice. The first one or two times we heard it, and then he put the song on repeat.

We stopped for lunch at a dhaba, basically an Indian truckstop. It was so crazy – just this little building in the middle of the desert. There were no other buildings, really no other people, nothing. Just an open building that seemed to spring up out of the desert – complete with tables and chairs, a makeshift hut outside with tables and chairs, a restroom, and a little shop selling cookies and drinks.

But it was good food! We had some vegetarian dishes – one with peas, chickpeas, potatoes, peppers, and tofu, and another with a tomato gravy, cheese, and vegetables. Served with bread. It was delicious, and unlike any truck stop I’ve ever been to. It sure beats stopping for fast food when road trippin' across the States. Well, except for the fact that it was 100+ degrees outside, and the food I was eating was super hot too.

At this point, I'd kill for a cold Wendy's salad and a cold apple.

1 comment:

Kar said...

What a pleasant surprise that the food was good at a truck stop in the middle of a desert!! And weird that the driver put a song on repeat. I don't think I ever put a song on repeat. That must have gotten annoying after awhile.