Monday, May 12, 2008

The Venice of the East

Wednesday April 30, 10:00 pm - Udaipur

Udaipur is known as the Venice of the East, because of all the lakes. Unfortunately, the water smells. But it looks beautiful. One cool thing about Udaipur is the view. Most restaurants have rooftop restaurants, and a beautiful view of City Palace. This is the view of City Palace from the roof of our hotel.

The place we are most excited about – the Lake Palace Hotel - is where we're splurging and staying tomorrow night. It was in the James Bond movie, Octopussy, and it’s a hotel right in the middle of a lake. You have to take a boat to get to it! We’re going to spend a full 24 hours there, being pampered. I think this is what Andy has been waiting for this entire trip, and now that I’m here and I see it, I don’t blame him. I just hope we can finally get some really cold drinks, because I have been thirsty ever since I landed in Delhi.

After checking our email and booking some massages at the Lake Palace Hotel, we’re ready to go out for dinner. We choose a restaurant with an awesome view of the lit up Lake Palace Hotel. The hotel has booths lined up against the wall, and instead of facing into the restaurant, they have windows, sans glass, that let you see the view. We sat cross-legged on a platform-type bench seat covered with cushions and a little table and drank mocktails. Sadly, the view and the butter naan were the best parts of the dinner, and we didn’t even get a picture of the view.

Can’t wait for tomorrow…

1 comment:

Kar said...

Oooh! I LOVE James Bond movies. I've seen Octupussy a billion times. How cool!