Friday, May 9, 2008

The joys of traveling, or one stressful hour at DIA

Day 1: Saturday April 26, 5:30 pm EST - Chicago Airport
Andy always says that when you travel, something is bound to go wrong. He is the perfect example of being prepared for anything. Well, almost anything. He's taught me some good things - such as leaving early to plan for an extra 15 minutes, just in case something goes wrong (which it inevitably will), and being flexible when things do go wrong. I knew something would go wrong on this trip, but I didn't know just how many things would go wrong. Luckily, most of them turned out okay.

I didn't check to make sure my flight was on time before leaving for the airport. My flight to Chicago was scheduled to leave at 2:50 pm, and when I checked in at the airport, it was about 1:00 pm. Upon checking in, I was told that my flight was delayed until about 4:00 pm, which would get me to Chicago at 7:25 pm. All flights to and from Chicago were delayed due to weather. Sounds okay, right? Except for one minor detail - my flight to Delhi was scheduled to leave at 7:10 pm. I was going to miss it.

The woman at the counter told me that she could put me on a flight to Delhi tomorrow (Sunday), getting me there Monday night. No problem, except we were scheduled to leave our hotel Monday at 6:30 am, and would be traveling all over flipping India for the next 10 days! Plus, that's one less day with Andy, no thank you, very much. She checked, and there were no other flights to Chicago for me, not on American Airlines, or any other carrier. Crap. She said I could try again tomorrow, getting me to Delhi a day late. There was no way that would work - we had plans!

I had talked to my family about how nervous I was to check my bag, since we plan to leave Delhi less than 24 hours after I arrive. If they lose my luggage, how will they get it to me? We'll be who knows where in India, and I'll be stuck without anything. When she said I could risk it, I considered repacking everything so I had stuff in my carryon, but figured, what the heck. I told her I'd risk it. My logic: If all flights were being delayed into Chicago (which they were), then surely a lot of people on the flight to Delhi would be delayed, and they'd wait. We checked my bag and I said a short prayer under my breath that somehow things would work out in my favor.

Cursing myself for not checking the flight information before showing up to the airport, now three hours early, I decided to send an email to Andy. I had to let him know I might be late. Naturally, my credit card wouldn't work on the Internet kiosk, and I realized how much it stinks to be at the airport without a cell phone. How neanderthal I felt! How was I going to gell Andy I might be late?

I decided to grab something to eat at Taco Bell, and halfway through my supreme taco, I heard over the loudspeaker, "Alicia Ahlstrom, please pick up a white courtesy phone or see the information desk." I had no idea people really used those white courtesy phones! Who needed to get ahold of me?

By this point it's about 1:45 pm. I found out there was indeed a flight to Chicago (thanks lady), scheduled to leave at 1:50 pm. In five minutes! The thing is, if the first lady I talked to told me about it, I wouldn't have wasted a half hour at the Internet kiosk and Taco Bell, and I could have made it there no problem. The guy at the counter told me he didn't think I'd make it, but if I wanted to try, he'd call and see if they could hold the plane. Once more, I decided I'd risk it.

I literally sprinted through the Denver airport - up and down two escalators, to and from the train, and all the way through Concourse C. When I packed my backpack this morning, I had no idea how heavy it would get. I filled it full to the brim, but did not anticipate running up two escalators with it strapped to my back. Of course, security was slow, the train was slow, and I thought there was no way I was going to make it.

When I reached gate C-37, I was panting so hard, I could barely tell the guy what I needed. The plan was still there though - I made it! And best of all, I got a seat in first class. I'll take it. I would have ridden in the cargo bay if they would have let me.

In hindsight, if I would have checked the flight and realized it was delayed, I wouldn't have gone to the airport early, and would have missed my connecting flight to Delhi. Looks like someone is watching out for me after all.

One hot towel, a bunch of fresh grapes, brie cheese, and warm chocolate chip cookie later, I landed in Chicago, two hours before my flight is scheduled to leave for Delhi. The only thing I'm worried about now is whether my checked luggage will arrive when I do. I could be in a heap of trouble if it doesn't. That was the one thing that stressed me out about this trip (not missing my flight), and now that I took a different flight, I'm praying that my worst fear doesn't come true - stranded, in India, with n oclean clothes and unable to delivery Andy the soy sauce he requested.

Should I have checked my bag? I guess I'll find out tomorrow...

1 comment:

Kar said...

Jeez. What a nightmare. You are so brave to have traveled to India by yourself. Seriously. These situations are so intimidating! First class sounds freakin' awesome. I've always dreamed of that.