Monday, May 12, 2008

Comfort zones

When Andy was given the opportunity to come to India, we had a discussion about comfort zones. He said that in India, he would be really out of his comfort zone here, and I said he’d be so far out of his comfort zone, he wouldn’t even remember what it looked like. That’s really been true for him, and now that I’m here and see him interacting in India, I’m so proud of how well he is doing. He told me he has said a lot of prayers, and I know a lot of prayers have been said for him.

Last night at dinner, we were talking about comfort zones again. When he told me he missed being in his comfort zone, I asked him what that was. I expected him to say the US, or his house, or working with people he knew, or something like that. He told me I am his comfort zone. Aside from that being completely sweet, it’s very true. Our comfort zones are our family, and especially our spouses. We feel safe, confident, loved, and like we belong when we are in solid and loving family relationships.

Being in India with Andy (and even being at home without him), I have come to realize that Andy is definitely my comfort zone. Even though things in India are foreign and uncomfortable, with him I feel safe, loved, and just like I belong there.

1 comment:

Kar said...

That is really sweet. I'm so happy that you're happily married. He seems so great. Someday I'll be able to afford to go visit you and meet him. Can you believe the price of gas lately?