Monday, May 12, 2008

Stuck in traffic - a universal problem

The traffic in India is so interesting. You have all sorts of vehicles in traffic – bikes, mopeds, motorcycles, bicycle rickshaws, auto rickshaws, meandering cows, horse/donkey/camel-driven carts, cars, buses, trucks, and even people walking, and they all just go wherever they want. Everyone just toots their horns to say “I’m here, coming up alongside you,” and they move out of the way. I think Mandy mentioned that the trucks even have signs saying telling you to honk.

When our driver, Mintu, asked if we have traffic in America, Andy said yes, but it actually doesn’t move. In India, it moves. You might stop for a couple of minutes, but you move. And with all the herky-jerky driving and horn honking, I was astounded that no one got hurt. I didn't witness one accident while I was there, although I think Andy said his driver actually hit (well, bumped) a pedestrian.


The really amazing part to me is the women and children in traffic. I have seen a lot of women riding on the back of a motorcycle, bicycle, or moped. And they ride side saddle! I have seen quite a few women riding side saddle, holding a baby with one arm and holding onto their husbands with the other arm. Some families even put a small child in front, the father behind, maybe another child, and then the mother holding the baby – all on a moped, motorcycle, or even bicycle.

Maybe Britney Spears isn’t doing so bad after all…

1 comment:

Kar said...

That is crazy! I can't believe they ride side-saddle! That is so scary!!