Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Will a hearing aid improve your marriage? It might just help mine.

Andy thinks that when you get married, you lose your ability to hear. Or, to be more exact, you lose your ability to hear anything that comes out of your spouse's mouth. "Not true." I said. He then proceeded to list no less than five examples of our friends experiencing this baffling phenomenon. It took him almost as long as it just took me to write the word "phenomenon." Twice.

Well. Sometimes in a marriage, your husband is right, and okay, today, I realized that mine was right. For today. Yes, our comments, requests, musings, and whatnot have a tendency to fall on deaf ears. On occasion. Take for example, an innocent exchange between Andy and myself via phone this morning:

Him: Did I get any checks in the mail?
Me: Yes, you got one from Dave. A big fat one.
Him: Did you deposit those other checks?
Me: What other checks?
Him: The checks I asked you to deposit. Yesterday. And the other day when I was on the phone with Chris and I said, "I'll have Alicia deposit them."
Me: I have no recollection of that conversation. But you bet your cutey booty those checks will go into the bank today. Along with the new check from Dave. (Okay, I didn't really say "cutey booty," but now at this moment I am wishing that I did.)
Him: Thank you.
Me: Excuse me now, but I have to go into the office. Because the power went out yesterday, my laptop is now refusing to start. Apparently, I need to lock it into my docking station and that is the only way I can turn it on to check MSN, write blog posts, and send emails to Relief Society sisters about our upcoming activity, of which I am in charge. Oh, and get some work done writing training materials.
Him: Okay, goodbye and I love you.

A phone call four hours later revealed that I am not the only one in need of some sort of marital hearing aid:
Him: Are you at home?
Me: No, I'm at work.
Him: Where are you?
Me: I'm in the office.
Him: Oh. I needed you to find something at home for me.
Me: I'm in the office. My laptop wouldn't work - remember? I had to come into the office. Can I take care of it from here, or when I get home?
Him: No, you need to be home. Gotta go.
Me: Okay, goodbye, I love you.

Hmmm...do they make a Miracle Ear for this ailment? I sure hate when Andy's right.

2 comments:

Kar said...

Oh, those conversations happen between Ben and I often, often, often. Sigh. It's frustrating, actually.

AnJ. said...

Glad to see we aren't alone. :) I'm not sure what it is really? It's gets worse when the kids come along. Sigh.