Friday, September 12, 2008

Me in an SUV

On Monday a whole new world opened up to me: I started driving an SUV. Holy cow! I had no idea how many people drive SUVs until I got in one. Now they're everywhere - I see them! (They must be copying me.) I love being so high up. I love not feeling like I can be squashed in one blow. I love being able to look other drivers in the eye when they cut me off (and I later pass them), instead of turning my head to look up and seeing them look down on me, like I'm some lesser life form. I love knowing I could run someone off the road and be just fine - only if I had to of course. It. Is. Bliss.

Why the heck am I driving an SUV you ask? A few weeks ago I was in a minor accident - a little old man changed lanes and didn't see me. He put a dent in my little Saab's driver side door. Little Saab has been in the dealership since Monday getting all prettied up. I got Big SUV in his place - Big Jeep SUV.

This Big Jeep SUV to be exact; same color and everything. It has been fantastic driving him this week - all of driving it home from the dealership, to Borders, to the Outlet Malls, and back home. That is, it was fantastic until I realized how much gas Big SUV eats - his appetite is insatiable! Little Saab seems to stay full much longer.

Come to think of it, Little Saab has so many good qualities - she is sleek and shiny, not big and cumbersome. She can sneak quickly into places where Big SUV can't even dream of going. Parallel parking is much easier in Little Saab. Hmmm...now I miss her. Not only is she cute, but she costs way less to feed.

Today I get to return Big SUV to the dealership and pick up Little Saab. I hope she missed me as much as I now realize I missed her.

2 comments:

AnJ. said...

I always feel this way when we borrow Grandpa Dan's truck. I love being up high!!! Someday. Also, It would be really nice for getting kids in and out of car seats. It will be nice to get your car back though.

Kar said...

Yeah, I kind of like SUV's, unfortunately. Ours is in the shop still, from my really great car accident. I just found out today that we could have rented a car all week - I thought the "allowance" the insurance company gave us wasn't enough, but it was! So we might take a trip to Enterprise Rent-a-Car tomorrow.