Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Blackout

My morning started out like any other: I got up at 5:30, drove to the track to run with Anna, drove home, and started up my laptop. I had just logged in and opened my inbox, when the power went out. Yep, complete blackout at 7:30 am. Luckily, it was morning, so the house wasn't totally dark, but everything I thought I would do wasn't possible without power:
  • I couldn't cook my breakfast in the microwave.
  • I couldn't cook my breakfast on the stove top.
  • I couldn't take a shower and get ready for the day (unless I wanted my hair to look like a frizzy poodle).
  • I couldn't work.
  • I couldn't watch TV.

I always knew I liked electricity, but it's been a long time since the power has gone out. After calling the power company, they said they didn't know what had caused it, but over 100 houses had been affected, and they likely wouldn't have the power back on until 11:15 am. Yikes!

So I decided I might as well get out in the sun and go for a walk. Only, I didn't want to carry my keys (we have a garage door code I usually use instead). I had a great walk, and came home to find...I couldn't get into the house. Duh! You need electricity to use the garage code! Then I found out that our gate to get into the back yard was locked. We never lock that gate. And if I could get back there, would any windows be open? I decided to scale the fence and find out.

Luckily, I found an open bedroom window (a tiny one) and squeezed through it. Ten minutes later, the power came on, and I was able to function again. I guess I need to be better prepared next time. And always leave one window unlocked. But I'm not telling which one...

1 comment:

Kar said...

Wow. I would die without power. Seriously. And I know what you're saying about frizzy poodle hair. My hair used to be straight - in the past few years, it's gotten curlier and curlier. So weird.