Thursday, September 11, 2008

What goes with grilled cheese?

When I was a little kid, I hated tomato soup. Not the Andy Warhol version (which I happen to loooove, by the way), but real, actual, tomato soup. Even when I was a teenager, and then on to becoming an adult, I still hated it. In fact, I hated tomatoes, green onions, squash, green peppers, and milk.

I have very few memories of my childhood, but one of the most vivid memories I have is sitting at Miss Linda's Preschool with her daughter Amber, refusing to eat the tomato soup Miss Linda has so lovingly poured from a can, into a pan, and then my bowl. Tomato soup was nasty. Tomato soup just tasted like watery ketchup.

So, you ask, how can I be sitting at my table eating tomato soup right now WHEN I HATE, HATE, HATE IT?

I think the turning point might have been a couple years ago when I visited Chedd's. Chedd's specializes in grilled cheese sandwiches, and they claim to have the best tomato basil bisque. Well...when you're eating a grilled cheese sandwich, you need something to dunk it in, and I knew that my free cup of water wouldn't do. So I ordered up myself a teeny tiny cup of tomato basil bisque (it was that or some sausage chowder something - gross!) and dipped one corner of my sandwich into the creamy redness. Holy taste explosion! It was awesome. That was a whole new bowl of soup for me, and I was hooked.

And ever since then, I eat tomato soup - even the boring out-of-a-can Campbell's variety when I don't have anything else handy. But only with a grilled cheese sandwich. Of course.

6 comments:

Amy said...

James and I had tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch just yesterday.

Martha Stewart actually made some on her show a few days ago that looked REALLY easy and yummy. I'm going to try it out. I'm sure the recipe is on her site.

Rebecca said...

I made that for dinner last night, and the kids liked it too.. well 2 out of 3.. but hey not bad. And only with grilled cheese.. no soup buy it self!! Yum Yum, thy the cambells select in the gold box, their tomato basil is to die for!!

Addie said...

I HATE grilled cheese without tomato soup! Grilled cheese is just to bland without it..GO TOMATOES! :)

Kar said...

Hmmm. You know, usually I hate tomato soup, too, but basil makes everything wonderful. I wonder if there's a pirated Chedd's recipe out there online somewhere....

AnJ. said...

I never like tomato soup growing up. YUK! But a few years ago one of my friends gave me a really yummy tomato basil soup recipe and now I love it.
Let me know if you want it.

bluestocking23 said...

Okay - I agree totally on this. And, if you're ever in need of a quick (not too bad) tomato soup in a can - try the Progresso (I think it's Hearty Tomato) kind. It's not half bad for a canned soup.