Friday, September 12, 2008

An apple a day

At the beginning of September, I bought some apples from the grocey store. I decided to buy enough to have an apple a day until the next time I went to the store. I know you're dying to know why I would do that, and why I would post about it. Well, I love apples. They're a delicious, quick, and easy snack, plus they're full of fiber and great for my teeth! And heck, if they keep the doctor away, even better.

But little did I know that September is National Apple Month. I found that out today, and decided I'm going to eat an apple a day for the entire month of September in honor of National Apple Month. Here are some fun facts about apples (courtesy of the LDS Living online magazine that ends up in my Spam folder each week):
  • 7500 varieties of apples are grown throughout the world.
  • Apples are grown in all 50 states in the U.S.
  • Two pounds of apples make one 9-inch pie.
  • A survey by the American Pie Council and Crisco found that apple pie is the favorite flavor among one in four Americans, followed by pumpkin, chocolate, lemon meringue, and cherry.
  • The term “as American as apple pie” can be traced back to the sixteenth century. Pilgrims brought their pie-making skills and apple seeds from England to the American colonies. As the popularity of apple pie grew, the phrase began to symbolize American prosperity.

My favorites are Gala and Golden Delicious. Sometimes I eat them with peanut butter. My mom likes Granny Smith apples; I think she used to sprinkle some salt on them. What's your favorite apple? Happy National Apple Month! Now go eat an apple.

7 comments:

Krystal Trapnell said...

I like gala too and fuji. I like then crunchy and cold. I think I'll have one now, thank you for the thought.

lish said...

Yes, crunchy and cold is the only way to eat them!

bluestocking23 said...

Fuji - all the way!

Rebecca said...

i found a new one .. to me at least.. its not in season year round.. its called Pink Lady, its yummy if you like granny smiths.. yum yum I may have to go eat one now!!

Kar said...

Mmm. Gala, for sure. In college, we read some memoir about a lady who was an apple farmer person, and this guy in our class had to give a presentation about it, so he had us do a taste test to see which apple is truly our favorite. I like Grapples, too. They taste like kool-aid. Or grape gum. Yum.

Janene said...

great! They are so in season and I love it. What should I buy, fresh peaches or fresh apples? Both!

I like fuji and gala best, and I sometimes have them dipped in creamy peanut butter. Perfect snack and think I like it better than caramel.

Jenn said...

Gala is my #1. And Fuji is Jeffs fav. Sammy and I go through about 4 a week. Yeah for apples!