Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It's April Fool's - who's up for a little tomfoolery?

In college, my roommates and I played jokes on our neighbors. We taped their door shut one night and they couldn't get out the next morning (don't ask me how packing tape held a metal door shut, but it did). They retalliated by removing all the food from our pantry, and I think we went up there and dyed all their individual gallons of milk different colors. Ahh...blue milk. And of course, there's always the classics - Saran Wrap on the toilet, Kool-Aid in the showerhead, cups filled with water covering the floor while someone sleeps. I don't really dream up elaborate April Fool's schemes anymore, but I do enjoy hearing about others'.

One in particular I read about today especially made me laugh. In 1977, members of Britain's Guardian newspaper printed information about the San Serriffe Island, a wonderful vacation spot. Every part of the island was named using puns and plays on typography terminology - the island is even shaped like a semicolon. You can read more about it here.

How clever! Maybe I need to get more creative in my tomfoolery. You can read about more funny April Fool's Day jokes, like spaghetti trees and left-handed burgers here.

Happy April Fool's Day - may your jokes be clever and plentiful!

1 comment:

Kar said...

Ya know, I kind of hate April Fool's day! I guess I'm not a very good sport...