Monday, April 7, 2008

Happy birthday to me

Today is my birthday. I have never really enjoyed my birthday. Well, at least not since I've been an adult. For some reason, I get grouchy and irritable, and just blah. This year I was prepared for the same emotions, and a couple of times last week I felt them coming on. Especially with how stressful things have been at our house, and knowing Andy would be gone on my birthday, I was sure the Birthday Grumps were inevitable.

Thank heaven for husbands. I knew I married the best guy. Andy planned such a fun birthday weekend, I couldn't have asked for anything better. Unfortunately, because we're not great at taking pictures, I only have a couple to show for all of it. Forgive my pathetic photography; maybe I need to take a photography class while Andy's away.
Friday night we went to The Melting Pot, where a dozen red roses were waiting for me at our table. Since some of my favorite foods are cheese, bread, and chocolate, Andy chose wisely. The dinner was unbelieveable - I had no idea I loved lobster cooked fondue-style, but I was hooked! And the Oreo-covered arshmallows dipped in white and dark chocolate fondue were amazing.

Saturday night he threw me a birthday party. I jumped on the bandwagon and decided to make it a Birthday/Bon Voyage party for Andy and made some Indian-inspired food - hummus & pita, curried chicken salad sandwiches, chicken tikkas (which were gone in about 10 minutes), eggplant & roasted red pepper dip with veggies, and fruit salad. We had about 30 people over playing cards and Wii games, and the only picture I have to show for it is this lonely piece of birthday cake that my friend Sam made for me. It sure was delicious - thanks Sam for the yummy cake!

Thanks also to my family and friends who mailed cards, e-cards, invited me to birthday dinners and lunch, and sent general well wishes sent out into the universe. I am so blessed with such wonderful people in my life! It makes turning another year older almost bearable.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! I remembered and was going to email you today.

Rebecca said...

Happy Birthday to you!! :)

AnJ. said...

Hope you had a great day! Love you!

Brooke said...

Happy birthday, Alicia! You are the best!

Mandy said...

Glad you had a good day/weekend! Love you!

Corinne said...

Happy birthday, a day late :)

Kar said...

I loooove the Melting Pot! And it sounds like you had such a good time. How fun to have so many friends with which to celebrate.