Sunday, April 20, 2008

International night at the Ocasios

When I was first dating Andy, I was quickly introduced to all of his many friends - I can't even count how many friends Andy has! One of the things I just love about them is that they all care about each other so much. It has been really great to get to know them, and has been absolutely wonderful that they have been so welcoming to me, especially now that I'm here alone. It makes being away from my family okay, because with all of our friends, I feel like I have a family here.

Our friends Joey and Anna (or is it spelled Ana - I actually don't know) invited me to dinner and Family Home Evening tonight. Joey and Andy were great friends as kids, and I'm so impressed that they have stayed close over the years. I always enjoy spending time with Joey, Anna, their daughter Alicia, and their newest addition, Maya.

In honor of my upcoming trip, they decided to have an Indian celebration, and in honor of my recent birthday, they made it an Indian birthday celebration. Their friend Jill was there to celebrate with us.

We all wore Indian-inspired clothing, and all the girls had red dots on our foreheads. We had Indian food from a local restaurant, and then began the Indian birthday celebration.

According to Joey, when a child turns one In India, his head is shaved, and he has his first taste of solid food on his birthday. Then there is a tray of goodies that a trusted person passes out to all the party attendees.

Thankfully, Joey and Anna decided not to make me shave my head, but they did give me a nylon to wear over my hear, so it looked like I had shaved my head. They served me Haagen Daas ice cream in Alicia's special princess tea set, and I had little Alicia hand out chocolates to all the party attendees. We also listened to an Indian happy birthday song. They gave me the Juno soundtrack (perfect choice - this happens to be one of my favorite movies as of late), and they also gave me the only birthday card that said happy birthday in Hindi - janam din ki badhai to me! It was quite the international fete.
Here I am in their lovely chair and ottoman. I smeared my red dot when I put on my nylon "hat." Jill said I looked like a cross between a little Indian child and Yoda, thanks to the nylon pushing my ears out. After looking at the picture, I think I have to agree with her.
Thanks Joey and Anna for being such great friends and celebrating my birthday and trip to India!

4 comments:

Janene said...

That sounds like such a fun time! How could it not be with a nylon over your head?! :o)

I'm excited for your trip!! Good luck.

Kar said...

Wow, what a fun party. What nice friends!! I need to get some friends here... When do you leave for India?

AnJ. said...

This totally made me laugh. What a fun night and a great Yoda picture. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.