Monday, June 2, 2008

Electrician in training

Over the weekend, I decided I'd had enough of this unfinished house, and set out to make a few small changes. Last year, we got about 3/4 of the way through the remodel, and things just petered out because of everything that was going on in our lives.

With Andy gone, I find myself wasting time watching a little too much TV. On Saturday after taking our friends' kids to seei Indiana Jones, I thought it would be great to get a little work done on the house. I painted the wood beams on our ceiling (they were covered in white texture) and really deep-cleaned our entire main floor.

My biggest and most proud accomplishment, however, was learning how to change electrical outlets. For some reason, when Andy and I were working on the house last year, I was nervous about anything electrical, and I let him take care of it. I guess I get a little more independant when he's not here though, because I really had a burning desire to finally take care of the outlets that were hanging out of our walls, unfinished and uncovered.

I asked our friend Denver to show me how to replace those old cracked, crusty outlets with shiny new outlets and covers. It was pretty cool learning how electricity works and how to connect all the wires in the outlets. We took care of four outlets in our living room...only about 50 more to go throughout the house! I swear this house has more outlets than I thought was possible.

I think I'll keep my day job though. I'm not quite ready to become an electrician.

5 comments:

AnJ. said...

You go girl! Isn't it funny how something so small can make such a big difference? Rooms always look better with new outlet covers.

DaNae said...

Your Dad was really impressed as well as me!

Janene said...

Wow. That is something I've also always left to Peter . Doesn't it feel good to learn something new?

Jon and Becky said...

I hadn't looked at your blog in while, and I think this is the first time I've commented. Howdy.
I believe your confusing sentence from a couple posts ago should go like this:
Legacy Card Carriers can support up to 128 voice compression channels using IP500 VCM base cards and/or IP400 VCM cards.
And congrats on your outlets.

Kar said...

Good for you! It's true that, sans a man, we roll up our sleeves and do it ourselves. I was sick of asking Ben to clean out our drain, so I did it myself. Not as cool as doing electrical work, but I was pretty proud of myself for dismantling the tubes under the sink, cleaning them, and putting them back together without breaking anything.