Thursday, February 14, 2008

We're 0 for 1

A few posts ago I mentioned that my sister said Andy and I must be getting all the hard stuff out of the way in our first year of marriage. It has been an interesting year. Between living in an AC-free construction zone house during the hottest summer ever, two bouts of bronchitis, one chronic illness diagnosis, one job layoff, and a couple of nasty sinus infections (during the holidays, no less), it's been a tough year. Add to that the fact that we are newlyweds and still figuring out how to live together, share money, figure out who our friends still are, survive in a family ward (which is soooo different from a singles ward), and get through our fights in a fair and respectful manner, and it's just been plain chaos.

Which means that when I had not one, but two, positive pregnancy tests on New Year's, we were so excited. It was like Heavenly Father was just saying, "I know it's been hard, but here is something you have wanted for so long, and I want you to have it. Enjoy!"

Some of you know how this story ends, and some don't. I was about 5 weeks along, and scheduled my first doctor's appointment for a few weeks later. When we showed up, she did an ultrasound, and said that she was seeing a fetus that was about 5 weeks old, and it should be about 9 weeks. In short, I had miscarried at about the time I discovered I was pregnant.

There was no heartbeat. There was no movement. I remember how still and quiet the exam room was. I remember that my feet were cold. Someone reached out to hold my hand - Andy, warm and familiar - was there, thank heavens. After I dressed and the doctor returned, she explained my options: I could wait, which I had already done without even knowing, I could take some medicine to flush it out, or I could have a procedure. We both agreed the medicine was the best choice.

Several days later, I was no longer pregnant. I thank Heavenly Father for a husband, parents, sisters, and friends who saw me through something unexpected and painful. Who won't let me think that my chance is over. Who talked me through the pain, brought me food, and gave me a million hugs.

I debated whether I should tell anyone this. First of all, it's kind of sad. And second of all, I know people who have been through worse than this; really, I don't have much to complain about, because we're okay. In fact, we're better than ever. I'm happy to be in relationships where a trial (or two, or a hundred) can bring us closer to the Savior, in turn, bringing us closer together.

It is because of this that I feel a renewed sense of hope and that my grumpiness is fading. I'm glad you all get to experience it with me, in one way or another.

8 comments:

Lysle and Kamiko said...

Who feels like blogging when crap is falling? you poor girl. I'm a terrible terrible friend. I should have called or emailed or done something! I honestly have been wondering about you...the flags should have gone up when you weren't writing. LOVE ALL THE POSTS! Marriage gets better....in about 6 years. hee hee....

Addie said...

Thanks for doing a blog on this Lish. It helped me better understand what you were going through. I hope life is going a little better! :) I love you!

Kar said...

Lish, I can honestly say I know how you felt. It's unbelievable to know that the baby was still inside of you, after having become inviable, for so many weeks. I was kind of angry about that - "How could my body not have noticed this??" This experience definitely made me more grateful for the kids I do have, and it made me more grateful for Ben. I'm sure your love for Andy has grown exponentially through your experiences together.

Mandy said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings on this. You have been in my thoughts so much the last few weeks. We love you.

Corinne said...

I didn't (obviously) know any of this. I'm so sorry. I'm so glad there were people surrounding you that could support you and love you :)

Janene said...

Confession: I have repeatedly thought in the past (several?) months, I really should drop Lish a line. I will try to be better. :o)

I'm sorry to read about this. Love you! Things will work out.

lish said...

I'm so thankful to read all of your posts of encouragement. This was a surprisingly tough thing to go through, and I thought the next time I started up the blog again, it would be to announce I was pregnant. Which is why I was so quiet for so long - I was keeping a secret! I'm so glad to know you guys were (and still are) thinking of us. It's so nice to have friends, even if you're all so far away. :)

Brooke said...

GREAT SCOT, ALICIA! I had started checking into your blog less frequently, thinking you had given up on the blogging world and here you are!!!!!! With all kinds of news, happy and sad. Okay, heavy on the sad. But always with a sense of humor, and full of hope. I sure hope things start looking up. You guys have had more than your fair share lately. What's up with that? All I know is I am so so so glad to have you back in blogland, and am glad you have so many good friends sending out the love. I miss you and think about you lots.