Thursday, February 14, 2008

Tennis anyone?

When I was in junior high, my family bought a Nintendo. The first ever, original Nintendo. I became addicted to Super Mario games, and would stay up until 3:00 in the morning trying to get to the next level. I outgrew video games, and didn't really know many people who played them, with the exception of a group of guys into Halo, which I totally didn't get.

And then I married Andy.

Andy plays video games. In fact, when we got married, he had three different gaming consoles. And the fact that I know they are called gaming consoles worries me. Nonetheless, they sat on our shelf gathering dust. Once we broke out Dance Dance Revolution for a dance-off, and then it went back on the shelf to get dusty.

When Andy heard about the Wii, that became all I heard about. It went something like this:

Him: "We should get a Wii. I know you'll like it."
Me: "But we don't play video games. We have three systems sitting here, and I cannot justify spending money on something else that will just sit there."
Him: "I know you'll like it."
Me: "You're crazy. You don't know what you're talking about."

Then his mom bought a Wii. Thanks Hiromi! I knew I would never stop hearing about how we had to get one now. When she brought it over, I'm surprised to say that I became hooked. Winded from playing the sports, but hooked just the same.

And the hunt began. Do you know how hard it was to find a Wii last fall? We checked a million stores, and no one had a Wii. We looked all over in north Denver, south Denver, and online. Nothing. Then one night in November we drove past a Best Buy, and I suggested we stop in and look. Andy said that we were not going to find one. Lo and behold, they had a Wii! We snatched it up and have been playing ever since.

I love the Wii not just for the sports, but for the educational games like Big Brain Academy and My Word Coach, which teaches me new words. Not to mention there's a game where you have to do squats (Warioware: Smooth Moves), and another where you get to shoot plungers at rabbits (Raymon's Raving Rabbids). What a hoot! The people at Nintendo to dream up the Wii are brilliant!

What does Andy have to say about all this? "I told you so." Oh well. At least I'm improving my vocabulary and my backswing, all from the comfort of my own living room.

10 comments:

bluestocking23 said...

I know! I was skeptical myself but Jess' family has one and she would come home from playing it with sore muscles and a huge grin on her face. I'm thinking, "wow. I love a good video game AND I could get some much needed exercise? Who wouldn't?"

We both REALLY want one now and it's just a matter of time before we succumb!

Kar said...

I'm not a huge video game fan, either, but some friends invited us over to play Wii games, and I had a blast. We played tennis for hours. I'm horrible at it, but apparently, I have a wicked serve. Somehow, the way I was swinging my Wii remote thing made me serve really hard and viciously. It was pretty funny. Ben talks about getting a Wii every day. But we're too poor. Someday!

Kar said...

P.S. If you want to give away whatever gaming system that you have DDR with, you can totally send it to me. I am obsessed with DDR. I would do it every freaking day, guaranteed, pregnancy notwithstanding (see my blog under "Dance Dance Revolution")!

Addie said...

GO TENNIS! :)

lish said...

That's right, go tennis! Kar, I love the power serve. It only happens to me on rare occasions, and I can't duplicate it - Andy says it's a timing thing.

I think everyone should have a Wii! Or at least access to one.

AnJ. said...

I had no idea you stayed up until 3in the morning. That makes me so tired. At least once a week, Mason asks when you are coming back to grandma's to play "that one video game with the hand controllers that you move around in the air." :)

Lysle and Kamiko said...

AMEN!!! We bow to our Wii before we start playing...you know to pay our respects. But man don't you feel stupid when you have to say you are sore from playing the Wii? WHAT!?

Corinne said...

Oh yes, everyone in my ward knows everyone who has a Wii - so we can hook up with one when we need to :)

lish said...

Yeah, I feel stupid when I say I'm sore from the Wii. Like I'm just that out of shape! What the heck?

Rebecca said...

We call it the wii arm.. that sore muscle you get and only seems to come from rounds of tennis, boxing and some mario sonic olympics.. now thats a work out!! Its the only gaming system I have wanted.. even though we already have some other ones in the house. We have a blast on it!! Go wii!!