Thursday, February 21, 2008

A plea for more turtlenecks

All I wanted to do was refill my water bottle. It was a simple mission: Get up from desk, walk to breakroom, fill up bottle, walk back to desk. Simple. I didn't think I'd run into any half-naked women. Who usually runs into those on a regular day in the office?

I did. I ran face-first into a tall woman whose chest was practically falling out of her extremely low-cut wrap top and right into my face. I ask you: Is this our only fashion choice when we get ready in the morning? Is this what it has come to? Are we relegated to talking to each other with our hands covering our eyes like this poor guy? Look, even he's embarrassed.

I know, it's hard to find clothes that fit properly, covering all the important-to-cover body parts and yet still look cool. It's hard to find clothes that make you feel feminine, yet are also functional. But I ask you: Why not put on a turtleneck for the office, and save the cleavage shirt for your date? Turtlenecks are great. They keep you warm, they come in a variety of colors; oh, and they also show off your figure WITHOUT SHOWING WHAT YOUR FIGURE LOOKS LIKE WITH NO CLOTHES ON.
Buy a few more turtlenecks please, ladies, so I no longer have to take the long route to fill up my water bottle.

7 comments:

Kar said...

That is so funny. There was a lady on CSI:New York the other night whose shirt was really, really low, and I thought, how can her co-workers work with her hanging out all over? I love that garmies are a natural guideline for necklines. Pre-garmie, I would try on a shirt, think, "No, that's not too low," and then it would end up hanging way lower on a day-to-day basis. So I'd spend all day with my hand covering my chest, or I'd not wear the new shirt ever again.

Brooke said...

Amen, Alicia! In Utah, I have noticed another disturbing trend. Actually, it was pointed out to me by Jason's brother, Jules, who travels all over the country in the ProBar RV. (I'll tell you more about that later.)
Anyway, he says whenever he comes home to Utah, he sees the most beautiful girls in the country, but also some of the least modest. All of their "bounty" may be covered up, but it's covered up by something very thin and VERY tight, which leaves little to the imagination. I'm not sure if that's any better than letting it all hang out. I guess a little. But I thin those little shirts from Downeast Outfitters are meant for LAYERING!

Jayrod said...

But if they all wore turtlenecks, where would they have to stick their pens when their hands are full?

bluestocking23 said...

LOL. Jayrod says it all but I'm with you!!!

AnJ. said...

Don't get me started on anything fashion related. But I will say this. No wonder women aren't taken seriously in the workforce. We're still on bimbo patrol. Cleavage does not belong at work. (unless you work on a corner or as a lifegaurd)

lish said...

Hmmm...I never thought about the spare pens. So it's more a practical solution to assist them in times of need?

Janene said...

I used to almost break out into hives when I would try on a turtleneck. Like claustrophobia or something. but let me tell you, I'm so glad I love them now. I too, think they are rather flattering.

Maybe in the summer you'll just have to buy a really big water bottle!