Thursday, September 20, 2007

Um, I didn't really want this job anyway...

After having a couple of really good weekends, I went back to work after Labor Day break and got laid off. Not only did I get laid off, but I was told that I had to keep coming into work for one month. Seriously? Yes, seriously.

I'm upset for a couple of reasons. One, I really liked my job. If you know me at all (which you do if you are reading this blog), you know I have never really liked any of my jobs as an instructional designer. I had finally found one that paid well, offered great benefits, took great care of their employees (except that thing where they lay you off), and where I loved the people I worked with. And two, I was only looking to settle into this job for a couple of years, and now I am starting all over again.

Ugh. Quite a bit of who I am is wrapped up in this career I don't even like, so I'm thinking maybe now is the time for a change. What do you think the change should be?

1 comment:

Kar said...

So have you found a new job yet? I'm interested to see what you're doing. Gosh, as for the change, who knows? I once got my nails done (just once. For my wedding. I'm not a fan of the acrylic nails. Or long fingernails at all, for that matter), and the lady that did them had been a social worker for several years, got sick of it, went to beauty school, and was loving her job at present. I've heard the normal person changes careers three to four times in their life. I know I, for one, will never go back to my old career. When my kids are grown, I'm going to do something totally different. Not sure yet what that will be...