Monday, July 7, 2008

How long has it been since you had a ticket?

Today I went to Chipotle to pick up lunch for Andy and the guys helping him finish our fence. When I turned into the parking lot, I noticed a cop was behind me, and he turned on his siren as soon as I came to a stop. I know I wasn't speeding - what on earth provoked him to pull me over?

After I rolled down my window and gave him my license, insurance, and registration, I noticed not just one, but two cops - one outside my driver's side window, and one outside the passenger side window. What? Now they're ganging up on me?

It turns out I crossed a double yellow line and turned into the parking lot in an "exit only" driveway. I seriously wasn't paying attention. I knew he wouldn't give me a ticket, but the entire experience was a little strange. One cop took my information and both cops went back to the car. 15 minutes - yes 15 minutes later - one of them came back. Here's basically how the exchange went:

Cop: "Alicia, when was the last time you had a ticket?" Um...I don't know? Shouldn't you know since you just looked at my driving record? Or were you just back there organizing your coupon book to look busy?
Me: "I honestly don't even remember, it was so long ago."
Cop: "Well, I won't give you a ticket. But I will give you my card. This shows you that I pulled you over on this date for this offense. Be careful, and don't turn in that driveway anymore. We've had a lot of accidents, which is why we're patrolling the area."
Me: "Okay, thanks, I'll be sure to turn in the right area next time."

The weird part - he gave me his card. Is that normal? Have any other cops given you their card? When I went into Chipotle, a customer in front of me made a comment about speeding. After I told him what happened, he said "It sounds like the cop was hitting on you." Okay, didn't think of that. And it's not like he wrote "call me" on the card - just a regular old card with the city logo, his name, phone number, and a handwritten description of my offense on the back. But how often does that happen, cops giving out their cards? Strange.

5 comments:

Kar said...

That's the first thing I thought - that the cop was hitting on you. Why else would he give you his card?? That is so funny. And kind of flattering! You're still a hot tamale! :)

AnJ. said...

That's as weird as the time a cop made me sit in the car with him while he ran my plates. Sit in the car?? What the heck. If I was asked to do that now, I would ask him why but back then I was just a dumb college kid.

I think it's totally weird. Did he wink when he handed it to you? ;)

Brooke said...

Helloooo, officer! What can you do, Alicia? When you're a babe, you're a babe!

Mandy said...

Yeah, definitely hitting on you. What is it with weird cops??

Amy said...

I've never been given a warning or a card. He was totally hitting on you and invited his friend to come see what you looked like.