Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What good is a king-size bed when you're in it alone?

I was so excited to buy a king-size bed last year. The idea that I could sleep without being kicked, elbowed, or losing the covers was really appealing. But now that we have had said bed for a year, I don't know that I love it.

Mostly because I found myself wide awake and all alone in our huge, freezing bed, in our huge, freezing bedroom at 2:00 am this morning. When there is only one body on one side of a king-size bed and your bedroom used to be an attic, things can get pretty chilly in the winter. I tried making an "Andy" out of pillows, to keep his side of the bed a little warmer and avoid going on a man-hunt for him, but it was to no avail. Those pillows just weren't warm enough.

So I went on the hunt downstairs and found him fast asleep on our sectional. Unable to wake him, I decided to lay perpendicular to him on the other part of the sectional - our TV room is a lot warmer, and let's be honest, I sleep better when he's nearby. Except sleeping better wasn't all that awesome when I got kicked - in the head. Yes, his feet were right next to my head, and I was wedged right between them and the sectional pillows with nowhere to go.

Bless his heart (because isn't that what you say when you're mad at someone and trying not to be?), he had no clue all this was happening at 2:07 am. Andy is one of the heaviest sleepers I know.

So. I have been awake since 2:00 am. In my Goldilocks efforts to catch some zzzz's, I went back upstairs to our big bed, hoping to stay warmer with a heavy sweater over my pjs (didn't work), I went back to the couch, pushing Andy's feet as far away from my head as I could (kind of worked), I walked into the guest room and pretty much got an instant headache from the smell of Andy's bicycle tires that are in there (clearly didn't work), and finally landed back on the couch until 6:30, when I went back to my large, cold, bed. I had to get up at 7:00 to get ready for a 7:30 meeting.

Except the clock by my bed now said 7:20 - what?! That was a scary shock. I ran downstairs to check the time, and somehow (I have no idea), my alarm clock moved 50 minutes ahead. It really was 6:30, and my heart was now pounding faster than I thought humanly possible.

Let me just say. This is not a great way to start your day, especially my Wednesday which is filled with conference calls from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm. At least I can take them in my pjs.

3 comments:

Kar said...

Wow, he really is a deep sleeper!! You should invest in a heating blanket. Mine is my best friend. :)

Rebecca said...

I say invest in down.. comforter and a feather bed too.. then your warm, as for the couch thing.. Clay does the same thing..and I realize it in the wee hours and sometimes he comes upstairs sometimes the couch wins.. note to self.. get a less comfy couch.. :) Sorry about the kick to the head.. thats no good!!

AnJ. said...

I'll trade you! You can have our lame old queen size and I'll take your new king.

I totally understand the no sleeping thing and it's totally crappy. Sorry.