Thursday, October 16, 2008

Why I've been quiet

My last post about cancer was meant to be funny. Last week, I read an article in the October issue of Self magazine about BCP plastics, and its link to breast cancer. After looking at my Nalgene bottle, Andy decided he didn't want to risk me getting cancer and bought me a new one.

Literally the day after he bought me that bottle, we received an email from a great friend, Eldon. Eldon and his lovely wife Heather have been tremendous friends to Andy over the years. We have so much love for them and their kids.

Eldon's email let us know that Heather had been diagnosed with Stage 3A breast cancer. Today my last post isn't looking so funny.

Now. I know this is not about me. At all. But I have been busy thinking. About our friends. About trials. I keep wondering how something like this happens. Why something like this happens. And what we can do to help. Because cancer completely snuck up on them, and their lives will be forever different.

Heather just gave birth to the most beautiful, perfect boy in August. They have two other children - gorgeous girls. If you don't believe me, just look at this picture. (Hopefully they don't mind me sharing this on my blog, but how can you not want to share these pictures - they're gorgeous!)

I have been so grateful that they have allowed us into their lives to serve them during this time. Most astounding to me about this situation is the way they are handling it - with humility, grace, and lots and lots of love. I've taken a lesson from them about facing trials.

Thank you Eldon and Heather for helping me see that our trials do not have to make life unbearable. And that we can in fact, get through them with our happiness intact, if maybe just a tiny bit bruised.

2 comments:

AnJ. said...

This is so sad! I don't even know what to say other than I'm sure they appreciate the support you are giving them and aren't you glad for the knowledge that we have? How would trials be dealt with if you had no testimony or assurance of a loving Heavenly Father?

Kar said...

Wow. That is so sad. I hope that things turn out well. It's just not fair. As my friend said to me once, "The only fair is in Blackfoot." (That's where our state fair is every year.) So true. We wish that only nasty people would get cancer, but it's often the wonderful, beautiful people who do. I love what you said about how they are dealing with it with grace. That is the perfect way to deal with trials. With the grace of a woman.