Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What's yours like?

I have dropped my phone precisely one thousand, two hundred and ninety one times in the last year and a half.

And I have thrown it at the wall exactly twelve times in the last two months.

The front cover plate of my phone fell off in July, and refused to stay put. Andy glued it back on with Gorilla Glue. Now there is bubbly Gorilla Glue in all the seams of the front cover plate.

Call after call keeps getting dropped, which is highly inconvenient when I'm running conference calls for work.

I think it's time for a new phone, don't you? The only problem: I have no idea what phone to get.

I have always had flip phones, and I want to try something new and non-flippy. They've never been great; in fact, they've been a complete and thorough disappointment. But they're like that comfortable old pair of Converse sneakers I keep: even though they're not always comfortable and I don't always love them, they're familiar. We have good memories together.

In the past, I've always picked a phone based on looks, but this time, I need a good phone. I've always settled for the cheap phone just to get by, and I would up being frustrated with the phone more than satisfied.

Andy says I should get an iPhone, but I just don't know if I want to cough up that much money. Or if I'll even use everything it offers. (Although the GPS would be very nice. And the iPod. And some of the apps I can download to keep my mind tack-sharp.) Or if I'll just end up coughing up more than that much money down the line. I always tell people I work with, "You can pay now, or you can pay later." Which really means, "Come on, don't be an idiot. It makes so much more sense to take the time/money/energy up front and do something the right way, instead of rushing/cheaping out/procrastinating now and doing a half-assed job/getting a half-assed product later."

I can suggest it at work, but when it comes to my bank account, I just don't know. I usually try to be cheap and end up paying later. A lot.

We're shopping for cell phones with Andy's parents tomorrow (Hello! and welcome to the 21st century!), and we think we should just get a new phone for me. So...what do you think? Trust me, I don't care about status, I don't care if I'm keeping up with those Joneses; I just need something that works. And that looks cute. And that won't make me want to throw it at the wall. Or require any Gorilla Glue to make it happy again.

Do you recommend your phone?
Do you wish you had an iPhone?
Do you think I'll use an iPhone to its most ultimate capabilities?
Do you think I should pay now or pay later?

6 comments:

Krystal Trapnell said...

Jeff has an iPhone and it is really cool. He loves that he can follow the scores of all the football games he cares about while he is out and about (I'm sure that convinced you), but he will be the first to agree that it isn't necessary. And if he doesn't have service (here in the basement he NEVER has service), his phone doesn't ring and he misses a lot of calls. He hasn't been thrilled with it.

I have the Samsung slide phone (also AT&T), and I really like it. I haven't figured out all the features myself, but it also plays music and has some cool camera effects. I got mine for $50 after a $50 mail-in-rebate, and I'm happy with it. Good luck, choosing a phone is a big commitment!

Kar said...

I know how frustrating it can get when a phone drops important phone calls. My cell service about...4 years ago in Salt Lake city was horrendous. I was seriously ready to throw my phone into the dumpster. Um, I have a flippy phone - Motorola. And it's been great. I don't really know much about the other kinds. Sorry. I'm a cheapo.

AnJ. said...

Count me out of this discussion. Half the time I forget I own a cell phone and it sits in my purse. :)

AnJ. said...

Which by the way is the reason I don't answer half the time you call. Not becauase I don't want to talk to you.

Brooke said...

iPhone all the way, baby.

Larry said...

Steph and I chose AT&T, who have a corner on the iPhone. We planned on getting iPhones, but couldn't stomach the cost. So if you decide against iPhones (which are, admittedly, the coolest), all of AT&T's other high-end phones are way cheap because everyone else is buying the iPhones, and so the other ones are way discounted. So we got Palm phones, very nice, for just a few bucks more than the cheapo phones they practically give away.