Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Which is better?

On Saturday, I set out to conquer our moth problem once and for all. They are ONLY in our entryway (unless we leave the door open between the entryway and the house), and they cover that room. On any given night, there must be at least two to three dozen moths hanging around.

Gross.

So, on Saturday, armed with the vacuum cleaner hose, I started sucking them up. One, two, three, thwump, thump, thwump, they all went in. I must have vacuumed two dozen moths before satisified I got them all.

Not so.

I tuned around to put away the vacuum, and heard tiny moth wings beating behind me - five more had just appeared! I proceeded to suck them up, and turned to put away the vacuum once more.

And they just kept coming back. They crawled out of the window, I'm guessing from somewhere in the depths of our shoe cabinet, which I opened, and sucked out the moths I could see in there. I think one of them laid eggs that stay dormant all year and hatch in the spring. They flew everywhere, attacking me - flying at my head, beating their tiny, grossy, dusty moth wings at me, as if they were ready for war.

In hindsight, I realized I was attacking them after all - why wouldn't they attack back? Maybe because it's not their house! They don't pay rent - I do!

Still - gross.

So I bought a bug bomb so we could fog the place. Andy set it on Monday, and I came home to four moths in that room - all of them dead, and now I'm finding dead moths everywhere.

So you tell me - which is better? Dozens upon dozens of live moths, or stepping on a dead moth and getting moth dust on your bare foot?

I'll say it again: gross.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Okay, this is too funny...the visual in my head was of you as Luigi in the Haunted Mansion game, moths instead of ghosts.... :)

lish said...

That's exactly what it felt like! Luigi sucking up ghosts. Except me sucking up moths.

And my version was not PG - there was definitely some swearing.

lish said...

That's exactly what it felt like! Luigi sucking up ghosts. Except me sucking up moths.

And my version was not PG - there was definitely some swearing.

Kar said...

Ew,ew,ew!! I hate moths so much! I think cleaning up dead moths is way preferable to alive, attacking moths.

AnJ. said...

Gross! Gross! Gross! The End.

bluestocking23 said...

They have invaded my office this year too. Try having an important discussion with your boss while being divebombed by the fuzzy little creatures. Sigh. Usually its Box Elder bugs so I guess this year, we're "Lucky". Heh heh.

Jon and Becky said...

Just be grateful they weren't UNDEAD moths.