Thursday, May 14, 2009

Springtime visitors

I don't remember a lot from my childhood, but I do remember this: When I was in junior high, a group of my friends were hanging out at this guy's house. He wanted to show us his cool bird (I don't even remember what kind it was, just that it was big). That bird must have been so excited to get out of his cage, because he flapped around and around the room, squawking, trying to find a safe place to land. As a couple of kids chased him around the room, he frantically landed on what he must have thought was a safe nest - directly on top of my head. (I had very curly hair, I suppose much akin to a bird's nest.) When he realized it was a head, not a nest, the bird became even more frenzied and tried to break free, causing him to become completely tangled up in my hair. It took three people and what felt like hours to un-tangle that stupid bird. I was officially traumatized and have despised crazed, flying animals ever since.

Bats and moths come to mind, but we don't have bats. Instead, we get moths.


There are so many downsides to Andy being gone that I won't even try to list them. But the worst one by far has to be those wretched moths.

Every spring, they appear in our entryway. They just appear - loads of them. And I hate them. Some manage to sneak into the house. And they came last week. I had to get something from my car at night, so I turned on the light and walked into the entryway, and was greeted by at least a dozen moths, frantically swooping at my head, trying to get into the house.

It was that stupid, frantic bird all over again, minus the squawking. And it was gross.

I can't think of them just like butterflies, because they are NOT like butterflies. Butterflies are calm and serene. They float. Moths are just frenzied, and they cause me to be frenzied and walk around my house with a flyswatter, swinging at the air as they evade my attacks.

To date, I have killed five of them, but they keep coming back. They disappear during the day and reappear at night, all crazed and scrambling for the light.

Gross.
Who knows of a better way to get rid of these wretched creatures?

3 comments:

Steph said...

My parents got moths from something they brought back from Mexico and they tried everything they could to get rid of them. Finally a friend suggested moth traps from a gardening center and they worked really well. They are little cardboard boxes with something in them that attracts moths and then they can't get out. They caught ten within the first hour, and that was during the day when we normally see moths. I didn't even know they made such a thing before.

Kar said...

Ew, ew, ew! I HATE moths!!! I always thought it was because they're ugly, but you're right - they are frenzied. I get box elder bugs every fall, and it's a total war - me vs. the Box Elders. I wish I had something to suggest for moths, but those little traps your friend above are referring to sound pretty awesome.

Janene said...

how did I not know that you are afraid of birds? The story sounds so familiar though... maybe I just forgot.

Remember how we had chickens? Because of our stupid feisty rooster, I hate things that fly too. My mission companions thought it was funny that I would duck and cover over pigeons.

wish I had any tips for you. Is there another door you could use?