Friday, August 29, 2008

Why I hated Breaking Dawn

There are too many websites for me to keep up with these days. Yes, I'm a member of GoodReads, but no, I don't post any book reviews on there. In case you haven't noticed, it's all I can do to write a blog post, let alone remember my login for another website and write a book review.

But I do want to write a post here about the drivel that is Breaking Dawn, mostly because I mentioned how it scarred me and people have been asking what the heck I meant by that. I'll admit, I was being a bit melodramatic, but by the time I finished the book, I was quite put off and unhappy about how it ended. At the risk of incurring the wrath of certain people, I'm going to tell you precisely what bugged me.

I jumped on the Twilight series bandwagon way, way late - I just started reading the books this summer. I cruised through the first, and enjoyed the brain candy - great summer reading. As I finished the second, and then the third, I grew less and less pleased with the whole story. Mostly I hated that Edward was so moody, and Bella always apologized for making mistakes. I felt that it was never really established why she loved him - just that she did. There was a lot of talk about how beautiful he was, yadda yadda yadda, but what was it about the way he treated her (going into rages, giving her the silent treatment, etc.) that made her love him?

But I kept reading. I instantly liked Jacob, but I knew Bella would not end up with him. I knew she would end up with Edward, as a vampire. Whatever - I can handle that. I even started liking Edward by the third book, by some miraculous turn of events. And then came their demon spawn. Edward, who was so intent on protecting Bella, gave in and let that half person-half vampire almost kill Bella. I'm sorry, but as her husband who loved her, he should have said no. She could have died and he would have had forever to realize that he could have stopped that.

Okay, so she didn't die; Edward "saved" her and she became a vampire. Whatever. But the whole thing Jacob imprinting on the infant? Seriously, the height of ridiculousness! It was just icky. Ew, ew, ew. Not to mention the stuipd name they gave her.

I expected a lot of this book - perhaps more than I should have. There was a lot more about it I disliked, and suffice it to say, this is one book I'm glad I didn't purchase.

8 comments:

bluestocking23 said...

LOL. Amen. (I think you'll like the Historian better...but you'll have to report back!)

Steph said...

Amen sister! And what is Stephenie trying to tell teenage girls. Up until this point it seemed that part of love was sacrifice, but in the end, Bella gets everything she wants and more. And really? Should we be telling teenagers to forget college, get married, and have an unwanted baby so they can live happily ever after. And don't even get me started about the fact that she keeps talking about how this series is "ageless" and she loves tht she has readers from ages 8 to 83. REALLY, stephenie? You think it's ok for eight or even eleven-year-olds to be reading this series?

Rebecca said...

I will admit being a Jacob fan does not help in the Bella Edward cause.. didn't hate the book, didn't love it, was just impartial. The fact that it is for young readers is a bit crazy..a bit to sex crazed without really coming out like that, you make some great points. why does bella love edward other than his stone cold beauty.. really?! Thanks for putting it all out there!!

Brooke said...

I see you are reading The Historian. I LOVED it! LOVED it! So let me know what you think. In fact, I might even read it again!

AnJ. said...

I haven't read it yet.....now I'm not sure if I want too! I will always be on Jacob's team. Stupid beautiful Edward.

Steph I love your comments!:)

Kar said...

I'm so glad you told me why! Yeah, Breaking Dawn was really... Rosemary's Baby-ish. And I hated the name - Reneesme. Blah. Yes, Edward's moodiness was starting to get to me in the 4th book. And I never really forgave him for leaving her in the second book. The closure is good for all characters, and I'm really glad for that. I was worried about Jacob. I am so glad I'm not the only one who loved Jacob. I love that he wore his heart on his sleeve and just unabashedly loved her. What a man. Yeah, the imprinting thing is weird. Ultimately, I'm glad Bella became a vampire, because I didn't want them to be that far apart in age. That would have been even creepier than the whole birthing scene. And I didn't want them to end up apart, because Bella showed us in book two that she can't live without Edward. He was a bit condescending. Even though he is like a hundred years old, I would get ticked if someone talked down to me as much as Edward talks down to Bella.

maya said...

HI I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I WAS THE BIGGEST FAN OF THE TWILIGHT SERIES THE FIRST ONE AND THE SECOND ONE WERE JUST AMAZING YOU KNOW A LOT OF SUSPENSE AND MISTERY THE THIRD ONE WAS A AT THE END BORING AS HELL.EDWARD IS SO CONTROLING AND BELLA IS SOO NAIVE.ANYWAYS GETTING TO BREAKING DAWN I WAS REALLY THINKING THAT THIS BOOK WOULD BE THE SHIT YOU KNOW A BIG FIGHT WITH THE VOLTURI MAYBE EDWARD WILL DIE OR BELLA DECIDED TO CHOOSE JACOB BUT NO NO NO THERE WERE ABSOLUTLY NOTHING THAT MADE ME WANT TO CONTINUE THAT BOOK...FIRST BELLA GOT PREGNANT...WTF...RENEESME ...WTF...JACOB IMPRINTED ON RENESMEE...WTF...BELLA ALWAYS THINKING OF SEX...WTF....THIS BOOK LOOKED LIKE IT WAS WRITING BY SOMEBODY ELSE I STILL HAVE A 100 PAGES TO READ BUT ITS EXTREMELY PAINFUL FOR ME TO CONTINU....NOBODY IN THIS BOOK WAS THEMSELVES...EXPECIALLY BELLA SHE USE TO BE THE SHY GIRL AND NOW SHES THE HOT GET OUT OF MY FACE CHICK...OK AND EDWARD WELL...HES JUST EDWARD AS USUAL ALWAYS FREEKING OUT FOR NOTHING ANYWAYS MY POINT IS THAT THIS BOOK RUIN ALL THE TWILIGHT SERIES I DONT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO READ IT

~Xx_cheerios_xX~ said...

Im 16 and a girl, I own all 4 books of the Twilight series. Love, pasion, these books triggers a state of mind that only love, clever/quick wited, and (XD)~hehe~ could do. Idno, why i even bother with this. I just picked up this book at the library thought it had a good cover. and saw the name Edward in the book and said "Hot" I've always liked the name, then I read the back and sounded romantic that she would unconsinquenty Love him and him her I was so intreaged into the books. I loved the books. Im sitting in school right now and for a class I decided to do an opinion speech. I thought about seeing another person's point of view. anyone from this page talk to me and tell me your view on this book, caus I already have mine and I love the book, I need another one other than "Vampires, unrealistic, and never read it." my email adress is

pain_crimsontears_blood@hotmail.com


I dono y I made my email thinggi so scawry I was sad when I made it. My project is dew 02/20/09 and realy need some help. XD I like Edward the best, clever, ~hehe~
----me