Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Three girls and a canoe

The whole reason I went to Utah a couple of weeks ago is because of my high school friends, Lara and Megan. A few years ago, we started a "Girls' Weekend" tradition - we get together sometime during the summer and spend a weekend together. We talk, play, watch movies, shop, go to the spa - you know, girly stuff. Well, this year, Lara suggested we go to her in-laws' cabin in Oakley. Here I am with Lara in front of the cabin.

Lara had the idea for us to rent a canoe. Let me make something clear: we usually get massages and pedicures. We do not hike, bike, go river-rafting, kayaking, deep-sea diving, spelunking, or anything else remotely active or outdoorsy. But we decided to rent a canoe, much to Lara's husband's chagrin. He was concerned that a) we wouldn't be able to get the canoe off the top of the car, b) we would flip the canoe once we were on the water, c) we wouldn't be able to get the canoe back on top of the car, d) we wouldn't be able to get the straps tight enough once it was on the car, and someone would get hurt - us or the car.

Honestly, I was a little concerned myself. When we arrived at the reservoir, we acted all tough, like we could do it, but I know we were all nervous. A group of teenage boys was standing next to the boat ramp, and Lara suggested asking them for help. I said in the toughest voice I could muster, "Let's ask for help when we need it - we might not need it!" But deep down I was thinking, "Alert! Alert! Damsels in distress! Come get our boat off our car, put it in the water, and row it to the other side of the reservoir for us."

Guess what? We got that canoe off the car and rowed to the other side of the reservoir and back, without tipping over once. Sure, we paddled in circles for a while. Sure, we drifted super far, super fast, because there was such a strong wind blowing and we were too tired to fight it. Sure, I got soaked because I sat on the floor of the canoe instead of the middle seat - I was too afraid of losing my balance and tipping us over. But the point is, we did it!
And not only did we make it across the reservoir and back, but we successfully got it back up on top of the car. Never mind the guy who sat in his lawn chair laughing at us the whole time, and then came over to us when we finished and said, "You should probably tighten those straps." Uh, duh. Thanks a load, mister. Check out Lara and Megan tightening those straps after we drove back to the cabin.
And now...I love canoeing. I want to buy my own canoe. I should get better about stepping out of my comfort zone - I'm always surprised at how un-painful it turns out to be.

8 comments:

AnJ. said...

I thought the whole reason you came to Utah was to see Cooper and Mason? :)

Glad you had such a fun time. I have only gone canoeing once but it is great fun and very peaceful; unless you tip over. :)

Corinne said...

What an adventure!! I love it. Tell those girls hi for me, will you?

Mandy said...

Oh, and I thought you only came to see me! :)

Looks like you guys had a good time! I'm jealous. I love being on the water!

bluestocking23 said...

Okay - you guys rock! Way to go on being adventurous and trying something new. I'm impressed you stayed in at all (I'm pretty sure I'd have dumped everyone in the canoe at least twice.) Awesome memories!

Janene said...

how fun! Yeah, I like the canoe thing, but I'm rarely the one loading, unloading, strapping, etc. Way to go!

Kar said...

How funny. I wish I could do traditions like that (too poor). Your high school friends seem really fun. So you have got to post on my blog or e-mail me and tell you why Breaking Dawn scared you from other books. Did you think it was horrible? I just finished it yesterday. It wasn't my favorite book in the series (Eclipse was my fave), but I still read it really fast and I'm now kind of depressed, and missing Edward, quite frankly.

Kar said...

Oh. Just re-read your thing. You said "scarred," not "scared." Still. I want to know why. :)

Jenn said...

I love it! Yeah for girl power. And congratulations for not asking for help. It looks like it was a very fun adventure. Do you think you will go back to the pedicures? Next year you should come to Red Mountian and do both adventure and pampering!