Monday, January 4, 2010

When the shoe doesn't fit...

I knew when I got pregnant my body would change.

I knew I would have new aches and pains.

I knew my hair might become more (or possibly less) curly, (definitely) more gray, and less plentiful.

I knew my nails would grow faster and be more strong.

And I knew I would gain weight. That was a no-brainer.

So I pretty much figured I wouldn't look exactly the same as before. I knew I'd need to buy bigger clothes, and that I might have to wear these clothes for a while after Max came.

Okay, fine.

But I hoped that not every blamed thing I own would no longer fit me - namely my jewelry and my shoes.

I have not worn my beautiful engagement ring in about nine months now. Sad, but it can always be made bigger.

But most sad of all is that I just gave two boxes of shoes to my sister, whose feet are now smaller than mine. We used to wear the same size - 7.5. And shoes can't be stretched to fit bigger feet.

Sniff.

I am sad that my feet are now big. Not small and dainty as some people referred to them. Not even average.

They are, in fact, now big.

The question I have is this: how many women have to replace a closetfull of shoes once they have their babies? Is this common?

Not that knowing whether it's common makes me feel any better. It's still crummy.

5 comments:

Amy said...

My feet didn't change size but my feet were swollen at the end of my pregnancies.

Bryan bought me rings when each of my kids were born though and I couldn't wear them for a good three-four months.

Oh, and your hair will continue to fall out for months. Mine just stopped about a month ago (she was 8 mos).

Kar said...

YES, my feet grew with my babies. I went from a 7 1/2 to an 8 1/2. Such a huge, huge bummer.

And I went and got a fake wedding ring when I was pregnant with my first. It's enormous. I have to say goodbye to my beloved wedding ring during pregnancy and wear the fakie, but usually my fingers go back down in size after the baby comes. I wonder why yours haven't?? Hm. It's a mystery.

Janene said...

my feet grew about 1/2 size with Zach. Then I think they've stayed the same...

I thought the swelling made sense, as my whole body had gone that direction. :o) but it does boggle me, that the length seemed to have changed.

Rebecca said...

feet.. yep..and if you think going from a 7.5 up is bad.. try a size 9to a 10.. good news is.. when my last was about 3 my feet finally shifted again..now I am a 8.5 go figure.. but a 10 for quite a while! I know a lot who can't wear rings either..I got lucky on that one.. but my friend did the same as Karlenn.. buy a fake one bigger.. that works.. it will all work out in the end..and every change is worth it!! :)

bluestocking23 said...

That is the single most depressing thing I've heard all week. Seriously bites to have to give up your shoes...I won't even touch the jewelry. Sigh. The things we do for love, huh?